Oct 28, 2021
Click here for objectives
In order to earn the Bachelor of Arts degree with a major in Biology, students must complete a minimum of 180 quarter credits with a cumulative and major/department grade point average of 2.00, including the following:
I. Core Curriculum Requirements
Module I: Engaging Academic Inquiry
Module II: Engaging Jesuit Traditions
Module III: Engaging the World
II. Major Requirements
51 total credits in biology, including: 1
Choose one of the following eight options:
See Notes below 4, 5
Choose one of the following eight courses:
See Notes below 4
Choose one of the following twelve courses:
See Notes below 4
- Grade requirements for prerequisite courses: a minimum grade of C (2.00) is required for any biology course that will serve as a prerequisite for another biology course; a minimum grade of C- is required in other science courses that serves as prerequisites.
- If BIOL 2200 is selected, BIOL 2210 should be taken as an elective.
- A maximum of five credits of research courses, which include BIOL 3990 and 4990, may be counted towards Biology Electives.
- At least 15 credits of the biology elective courses (non-senior synthesis) must be from 3000- or 4000-level courses (see Course Descriptions ). Some of the course choices may require prerequisites beyond the minimal degree requirements.
- BIOL 2220 and BIOL 3100 may not both apply towards this degree.
III. Other Major Department Requirements
40 credits in the natural sciences, including:
15 credits in chemistry, typically:
Choose one for 5 credits:
Choose 10 credits from the courses in these departments (see course descriptions ):1
- Chemistry: CHEM 2100 or above
- Mathematics: MATH 1210 or above
- Physics: PHYS 1050/1051 or above
Typically students choose 2 of the following:
- 10 credits of additional science electives approved by department.2
- Natural science courses must be different from the Mathematics course chosen in the Mathematics section.
- Science elective courses must be a major-level course for that department and may be a Biology course 2200 or above.