Jun 21, 2021
This 20-month, graduate program provides seasoned professionals an opportunity to earn a masters degree emphasizing executive development of business leadership and impact. The first two quarters focus on executive leadership, enabling deep learning about complexities of leadership and requiring each student to reflect on his or her place at work, at home and in the larger society. This is followed by three quarters emphasizing advanced business education-principles, tools and practices. The final quarter challenges participants to explore and elevate their positions of social responsibility and impact in both their professional and personal lives.
- Each student will complete an Executive Leadership Project. Students integrate their L-EMBA education to execute an original and personally significant project that is of substantial strategic benefit to their organization.
- Students will engage in a social justice service project and course work in strategic positioning, business analysis and integration.
- The program helps participants comprehend and plan for ongoing globalization and ensures future successes by building on qualitative and quantitative business skills.
This program operates on a concentrated schedule in which classes are offered typically every three to four weeks, for three full, consecutive days (e.g., Thursday through Saturday). The program is taught in a lock-step cohort fashion with all students progressing through the program at the same time and rate. This model helps students to build strong relationships and networks across the class.
The L-EMBA provides a balanced emphasis on leadership formation and the core knowledge/skills which are required for business management including:
- Strategic Skill
- Collaborative Influence
- A Drive for Excellence
- Results Orientation
- Agility and Courage
The Admissions Committee reviews applicant’s full portfolio and decisions are made based on an applicant’s entire package. Applications are reviewed beginning Dec. 1 and qualified applicants are accepted on a first-come first-served basis. The following items are required for application to the Leadership Executive Master of Business Administration program:
- Complete Application for Graduate Admission, indicating the program code EMBA, and a $55 nonrefundable application fee (fee waived for Seattle University alumni, including ELP alumni)
- Evidence (degree-posted transcript or degree certificate) of a four-year baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution or U.S. equivalent. Exceptions considered on an individual basis by the program director.
- Official transcripts of all post-secondary educational institutions attended in the last 90 quarter/60 semester credits of the bachelor’s degree, including any transfer credits earned during this time, and any post-baccalaureate credits. Exceptions considered on an individual basis by the program director.
- Current résumé reflecting at least seven years of full-time continuous work experience
- Two recommendations from supervisors using forms supplied in the application packet
- Official GMAT score report taken within the last five years. Exceptions considered on an individual basis by the program director.
- Four- to five-page, double-spaced essay to serve as a writing sample and statement of intent/interest in this academic program. The essay should discuss:
- The ways in which your professional and educational history has led you to your current role professionally and how these elements interrelate with your career goals.
- Your ideas and expectations for the program and how you believe the Leadership-EMBA will help you attain your goals.
- How your experience and skills prepare you for graduate work.
- Your personal and/or organizational support (both individual and financial) you have for undertaking the program at this time.
- If English is not the applicant’s native language, official English proficiency scores meeting the University entrance requirements are necessary. See policy 2008-01 in Admissions Policies for exceptions.
Applicants who reach the final screening will be invited to an interview with the program admissions committee.
The L-EMBA is a 20-month cohort program encompassing 60 credits over six quarters. This program complements executive schedules with courses offered in compact, three-day modules (typically three days per month). Attendance at all class sessions is required. Please refer to posted schedule for class days.
I. Executive Leadership, First and Second Quarters (Fall-Winter)
II. Instruments for Organizational Effectiveness, Third Quarter (Spring)
III. Strategic Positioning for Global Success, Fourth Quarter (Fall)
IV. Enhancing Business Unit Performance, Fifth Quarter (Winter)
V. Capstone: Leading for Impact and Legacy, Sixth Quarter (Spring)
0 to 4 credits: