Marilyn Gist, PhD, Department Chair
Objectives and Program Description
The Executive Leadership Program (ELP) is a highly-respected, graduate-level certificate program. The curriculum is carefully integrated to provide an intensive exploration of leadership and its personal meaning in each participant’s life. The outcome of the program is a deeper knowledge of leadership, greater confidence, and a keen awareness of the values that guide executive decisions so managers serve their organizations and the greater good. ELP is known for developing high-impact leaders of strong character. It broadens leaders’ perspective through multi-disciplinary and multi-industry exposure, as well as from course work, reflection, and rigorous application. The ELP program is particularly well-suited for individuals who already hold an MBA or other master’s degree or those who may not be able to pursue one at this time.
The ELP is an seven-month cohort program encompassing 20 graduate credits over two quarters. This program will complement executive schedules with courses offered in monthly, three-day modules.
Admissions and Program Requirements
Because of the collaborative nature and academic rigor of this program, it is important that each participant possess the following set of minimum qualifications:
- Endorsement from the company’s senior management agreeing to release candidates on class days.
- Evidence of a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university (under special circumstances, non-degreed applicants with outstanding work experience may be admitted).
- Seven or more years of business/professional experience, including mid- or senior-level management experience.
- Ability to complete graduate-level course work
- Willingness and ability to commit required time and energy
- Demonstrated leadership ability
The following materials are required for application:
- Application form
- One letter of recommendation indicating support of release of time
- Current Résumé
- Personal essay (please call for specific essay question)
- Center for Leadership Formation
901 12th Avenue, PO Box 222000
Seattle, WA 98122-1090
Phone: (206) 296-5374
Fax: (206) 296-2374
An admission interview is required. Once we have received your application you will be contacted by program staff to coordinate your interview. Admission to each fall cohort is limited to 17 participants. Qualified applicants who are not admitted will be placed on a waiting list or offered early admission for the following year.
The director is available for advising and consultation with interested sponsoring officials at corporations or organizations.
Program Fee: $24,000
Covers complete program experience: tuition, books, materials, technology fees, parking, library privileges, food, beverages, hosted social events, access to campus athletic facilities, invitation to special university events and the certificate.
Graduates of the Executive Leadership Program receive a graduate-level certificate from Seattle University upon successfully completing the program. The program awards 20 credits, equivalent to master-level course work. Credits are recognized by an official transcript and certificate issued by Seattle University.