Alexander Mouton, MFA, Chair
The Art, Art History and Design programs connect the rich heritage of a Jesuit liberal arts education with the vibrant cultural and artistic resources of Seattle. Our interdisciplinary learning environment encourages collaboration as part of a diverse community of students and faculty. Our programs in visual art, photography, design, and art history are grounded in the creative and critical study of foundational works, histories and methods. Our focus on contemporary works and our active engagement with the arts community offer our students experiential training that is both professionally and personally rewarding.
The Art, Art History and Design programs provide opportunities to:
- study with professional artists, designers and art historians
- study photography through an affiliation with the Photographic Center Northwest
- design and exhibit in the Seattle University galleries
- develop and pursue the writing of mentored research papers, and present scholarly work on and off campus
- explore Seattle's rich arts community off campus
- work with contemporary Seattle artists, curators, and museum professionals through residencies, guest lectures and gallery programing
- realize a senior honors project and graduate with departmental honors
- intern with a variety of Seattle arts organizations
- study art abroad
The future for an Art, Art History and Design graduate might include additional BFA or MFA programs in the arts, graduate teaching programs, or the beginning of a professional career in the arts.
General Program Requirements
All majors in the Art, Art History and Design department must complete at least 20 credits in the major at Seattle University. Art, Art History, and Design transfer credits are subject to review which may include portfolio review, audition, exam, and/or interview.
As elective choices, most courses are open to students in other fields. Many complement the work in other majors (e.g., art history, English, history, modern languages, philosophy, or religious studies) and the department cordially welcomes all members of the school community. Observe prerequisites where noted.
Courses open to auditors include FINR 1200 , ARTH 2110 , ARTH 2120 , ARTH 3500 , ARTH 3410 . All other courses in the Art, Art History, and Design department are to be taken for credit.
- Art History with Departmental Honors, BA
- Art History, BA
- Design with Departmental Honors, BA
- Design, BA
- Interdisciplinary Arts with a Specialization in Photography with Departmental Honors, BA
- Interdisciplinary Arts with a Specialization in Photography, BA
- Interdisciplinary Arts with a Specialization in Visual Art with Departmental Honors, BA
- Interdisciplinary Arts with a Specialization in Visual Art, BA
- Photography, BFA
- Visual Art with Departmental Honors, BA
- Visual Art, BA