Jul 22, 2024  
2012-2013 Graduate Catalog 
2012-2013 Graduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Financial Aid


Office of Student Financial Services

The Office of Student Financial Services has three main service functions:

Financial Aid: Student Financial Services Counselors evaluate information submitted on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and determine student eligibility for federal, state and institutional need-based funds.

Student Employment: While positions are not guaranteed and need-based work study isn’t included in initial awards for graduate students, Seattle University’s Redhawk Network includes jobs that are funded by the employer and open to any interested student—not just those with work study awards—as well as jobs available to recent graduates.

Student Accounts: Student Accounts prepares and distributes bills for tuition and fees, room and board and insurance. The office takes payments, assesses late charges, sets up payment plans and distributes aid.

The office is open 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday and Tuesday, and 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Wednesday through Friday.

Applying for Federal Student Aid

To be considered for need-based financial aid, students must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year. The FAFSA for the upcoming academic year—summer, fall, winter and spring quarters—becomes available on Jan. 1 at www.fafsa.gov. Students are encouraged to use their Personal Identification Number (PIN) to electronically provide the required signature when completing the FAFSA on-line. If a PIN was not secured previously, students can apply for the PIN from within the FAFSA website as they are completing the application. Seattle University’s Federal School Code—003790—must be listed in the appropriate section of the FAFSA so results will be sent to the university.

While FAFSAs are accepted and processed year-round, graduate students are strongly encouraged to have their FAFSAs filed by Feb. 1, or as soon after that date as possible, whether for summer quarter or the academic year starting in September. The earlier a file is completed the more likely funding will be available on the first official day of the term as published on the Academic Calendar by the Office of the Registrar.

Financial need for a school year is defined as the difference between the cost of attendance at Seattle University and the student’s Expected Family Contribution (EFC) that is calculated from information provided on the FAFSA. Student Financial Services prepares a financial aid award to meet as much of a student’s need as possible. That award may include a combination of scholarships, grants and loans. Descriptions of the federal, state and institutional aid programs follow.

To be eligible for most financial aid programs students must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents. 

Financial Aid Programs for Graduate Students

Scholarships for Graduate Students

Seattle University offers a limited number of scholarships to graduate students. These scholarships are provided in recognition of a student’s ability to enhance Seattle University’s educational community. Scholarship renewal is based on scholarship specifics, satisfactory academic progress and, in some cases, continued financial need.

Marylou Wyse Scholarship

The Marylou Wyse Scholarship is awarded through the Graduate Admissions Office in consultation with the academic departments for select programs that vary year to year. This is a limited need-based scholarship that is awarded for two years. Students must maintain continuous enrollment of at least three credits per term but with a minimum of 12 credits per nine–month academic year. To be eligible students must complete the FAFSA each year.

Graduate Diversity Scholarship

The Graduate Diversity Scholarship is a limited scholarship available to outstanding candidates from under-represented populations. Students must be admitted into one of the following graduate programs: Education (Curriculum and Instruction, Educational Administration, Pre-service teacher certification—MIT only), Nursing and Theology and Ministry. Students should contact their department to apply.

Catholic School Special Tuition Grant

Eligible full-time religious and lay teachers and principals of Catholic schools under the auspices of the Archdiocese of Seattle may apply for this grant. Master in Teaching (MIT) and Doctor of Education (EdD) students are not eligible. The grant cannot be used to pay for MIT or EdD credits. Grants pay half of regular tuition for eligible graduate education courses and the student is responsible for the remainder of the charges. Additional information and the application for this grant become available on April 1 preceding the upcoming academic year in the Scholarships, Grants and VA Benefits category on the Forms tab of the Student Financial Services web site.

Matteo Ricci Consortia Schools Tuition Remission

Full-time employees of the six Matteo Ricci College consortia schools may be eligible for grant funds of up to 85 percent of tuition. Eligibility for the grant is determined by SU’s Matteo Ricci College.

Program-Specific Scholarships

Several graduate departments and programs offer program-specific scholarships and/or assistantships. Scholarships are generally limited; some awards may be based on financial need and some may be renewable. Students should contact their departments for specific information about availability, eligibility and application procedures.

Outside Scholarships

Outside scholarships are scholarships students bring with them to Seattle University. Students must inform Student Financial Services if they are receiving outside scholarships because they must be included in the resources available to meet costs. These scholarships then are listed as Private Outside Scholarships on the Seattle University Award Letter.

Outside scholarships that have been announced by their donors for which Seattle University students may be eligible are posted at the Student Financial Services’ website in the Scholarship Search Quick Link on the bottom-left side of the home page.

Grants for Graduate Students

Students participating in master’s degree programs in special education or teaching may qualify for a federal TEACH Grant. In return for receiving a TEACH Grant, a student agrees to serve: as a highly qualified full-time teacher in a high–need field in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves low-income students for at least four academic years within eight calendar years of completing the program of study for which they received a TEACH Grant.

Important: Failure to complete the service obligation in full will result in conversion of the TEACH grants to a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan with interest charged from the date the grant was originally disbursed. The Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan must be repaid to the U.S. Department of Education.

Veterans’ Educational Benefits

Selected academic programs at Seattle University are approved by the Washington State Higher Education Coordinating Board’s State Approving Agency for enrollment of persons eligible to receive educational benefits.

Students receiving Veterans Education Benefits must see the VA Certifying Official in the Student Financial Services Office to set up their benefits prior to their first quarter of attendance.

The official source for information about all VA educational benefits is www.GIBILL.va.gov. The Veterans Administration may also be contacted at at (888) GIBILL-1 (888-442-4551).

Loans for Graduate Students

These are low-interest student loans that must be repaid.

Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Stafford Loans

Effective July 1, 2012, graduate and professional students whose loan periods begin after the July 1 effective date are no longer eligible for subsidized Stafford Loans.  Students whose loan periods begin prior to July 1 will be eligible for up to $8,500, depending on their financial need as determined by the information provided on their FAFSA, for the 2012-13 academic year. In subsequent years, they, too, will be ineligible for subsidized Stafford loans.

Stafford loan repayment begins six months after a student leaves school or drops below half–time enrollment. A Federal Direct Subsidized Stafford loan is limited by the student’s financial need and does not accrue interest during enrollment or the six–month grace period. The interest rate is 6.8 percent.

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan is limited by the program’s annual and lifetime limits and by the student’s cost of attendance. The unsubsidized loan begins to accrue interest after the first disbursement; the interest rate is also 6.8 percent.

Stafford Loan terms and benefits are explained during the student’s required online entrance counseling session and are also included on the master promissory note the student signs before loan proceeds are disbursed.

First–time Federal Direct Stafford Loan borrowers must complete an on-line entrance counseling session and a Master Promissory Note before their loans can be disbursed. The Missing Documents Letter that is included in the award letter packet has additional details about these two requirements. Students can also go to My Documents in the Communication section of the student menu at SUOnline for these details.

Once a student’s financial aid file is complete and the appropriate documents have been completed, loan funds will be disbursed to the student’s account each quarter, provided the student is enrolled at least half-time. For graduate students, half-time enrollment is a minimum of three credits each term.

For 2012–13, a 1 percent origination fee will be charged for each Direct Stafford Loan before it is disbursed to the student’s account. For example, if a student has a $1,000 loan award for the quarter, $990 will be disbursed to the student’s account.

Annual and aggregate loan limits are shown in the chart below.

                                                                                   Annual                                                    Aggregate
                                                                               Loan Limits                                              Maximum Limits

Subsidized &
Subsidized &

Graduate & Professional Students
All Years of Study

$8,500 for loan periods beginning prior to July 1, 2012

Graduate and professional students are no longer eligible for subsidized Stafford Loans for loan periods beginning on or after July 1, 2012


For loan periods beginning after July 1, 2012, this entire, annual amount will be unsubsidized.

For Subsidized Stafford Loans with loan periods beginning prior to July 1, 2012: $65,500

For loan periods beginning on July 1, 2012 or later, the loan amount will be unsubsidized and will add to the aggregate limit as determined by the U.S. Department of Education

Determined by the U.S. Department of Education

Federal Direct PLUS Loan for Graduate Students (Grad PLUS)

Graduate students may be eligible to borrow up to their total cost of education, as certified by the Student Financial Services Office, less any financial aid they have been awarded. The Graduate PLUS Loan is a non–need-based loan which has a fixed interest rate of 7.9 percent. A 4.0 percent origination fee will be deducted from the awarded amount before the loan is disbursed. Repayment begins 60 days after the loan is fully disbursed for the academic year. For an academic year loan for three quarters (fall, winter and spring), repayment begins 60 days after the spring quarter disbursement in March. Students may request in-school payment deferment by contacting the Direct Loan Service Center at (800) 848-0979.

As part of the Grad PLUS Loan application process, students must complete a FAFSA, which will determine initial eligibility for the PLUS Loan and also for Federal Direct Stafford Loan funding. While not mandatory, students are strongly encouraged to take advantage of their annual Federal Direct Stafford Loan eligibility before applying for a Graduate PLUS Loan because the terms and conditions of the Direct Loan are better than those for the Graduate PLUS Loan.

Students wishing to apply for a Graduate PLUS loan should submit an online request at www.studentloans.gov. After submitting the on-line PLUS request, the borrower will receive the results of the credit check for the loan.  If the credit check is approved, a first-time borrower will be required to complete the loan entrance counseling process and sign the Graduate PLUS Master Promissory Note (MPN) at www.studentloans.gov. tudentLoans.gov will notify Seattle University that the loan has been approved and Student Financial Services will process the loan.

Federal Perkins Loan

This low interest loan is very limited and is not included in initial awards to graduate students.  Graduate students interested in this loan should contact Student Financial Services to be placed on a waiting list should funding become available. 

Private Educational Loans

Students needing to pursue other financing options can research private educational loan programs through participating lending institutions who may approve loans up to the total cost of education minus any financial aid the student has been awarded. Eligibility to receive these loans is based on credit-worthiness as determined by the specific lender to which the student applies.

Private educational loan considerations:

  • Staff in the Student Financial Services Office are available to students who need assistance determining the amount they are eligible to borrow.
  • Unless specifically instructed otherwise, Student Financial Services certifies loans to be evenly disbursed over the quarters of attendance the student lists on the loan application.
  • If the student applies for an amount that is more than the total due on their student account, the remaining balance will be refunded to the student.
  • Because it can take up to three weeks after the loan is approved to actually receive the loan proceeds, students should apply as early as possible and for the entire academic year if possible.

Students who choose to take out a private educational loan will be required to complete and submit a loan self-certification form to their lender. They can contact the lender or the Student Financial Services Office to request a self-certification form. 

Student Financial Services will certify a private educational loan from any lender a student selects, regardless of whether or not the student has chosen to apply for federal loans or other financial aid. However, Student Financial Services strongly recommends that students look at the federal loans first and carefully compare rates, terms and benefits offered with any private loan they’re considering because the federal loans generally have better borrower benefits and repayment terms and conditions.

Private Educational Continuing Education Loans

Several lenders provide loans for students who are not seeking a degree (non-matriculated) or students who are enrolled less than half-time. These loans are generally called Continuing Education Loans and may be researched on the Web using any standard search engine. 

Private Lender Direct to Consumer (DTC) Loans

Some private lenders will make loans directly to students without contacting the Student Financial Services Office to verify how much the student is able to borrow without affecting their other existing financial aid. Student Financial Services strongly encourages students to talk with a Student Financial Services Counselor before taking out one of these loans because they may be eligible for other financial aid, including additional federal loans or certified private educational loans, that have better terms and conditions than DTC Loans.

Students must report the amount of their DTC Loan to Student Financial Services where it must be considered as a resource in combination with any other aid the student may be receiving. If the student has not coordinated with the Student Financial Services Office ahead of time, the amount of the DTC Loan could result in a reduction or required repayment of other aid.

Work Study for Graduate Students

Work study is not included in initial awards for graduate students because funding is extremely limited. Graduate students interested in work study should contact Student Financial Services to be placed on a waiting list should funding become available, in which case, a graduate student could be considered for these programs:

On-Campus Federal Work Study

This need-based work program is federally funded. Students may work up to 20 hours per week at a position on campus and are paid monthly for hours worked. 

Off-Campus Federal Work Study (Community Service)

The need-based Federal Work Study Community Service program provides students with off–campus employment in jobs that foster career-related development skills through community service work, offering positions in approved nonprofit businesses as well as in government agencies. 

Off-Campus State Work Study

This need–based work program for students who are permanent residents of Washington State is state–funded. Participating students may work up to 19 hours per week in off–campus positions. Opportunities are available in approved private businesses, nonprofit organizations and in city and county government. 

Student Employment

Students who are not awarded need-based work-study but who want to work while attending Seattle University can use the university’s free job listing service, the Redhawk Network.

Dropping or Withdrawing from Classes

Dropping or Withdrawing from SOME, But Not All, Classes

Adjustments may need to be made to the financial aid awards of students who drop or withdraw from some, but not all, of their classes at Seattle University, depending on several factors. Therefore, while general information about dropping or withdrawing from classes is given below, Student Financial Services strongly encourages students to contact a Student Financial Services Counselor before actually dropping or withdrawing from any classes.

In general, after classes begin and federal and/or state financial aid has been transmitted, withdrawing from some classes but remaining enrolled for at least one credit will not affect aid for the quarter in progress as long as the student met the original eligibility requirements to receive the aid. However, if the student drops one or more classes during the add/drop period, institutional aid for the quarter will be withdrawn if enrollment drops below full-time. Thereafter, institutional aid will be reduced proportionally to the reduction in credits and the tuition refund level in effect at the time the student withdraws.

In general, for students who drop or withdraw from some some of their classes before they have established eligibility for aid, but are still enrolled at least half-time (three credits or more as a graduate student), financial aid will be revised based on the new enrollment status. Because eligibility to receive financial aid in subsequent quarters may depend on the number of credits successfully completed in the current quarter—and classes from which a student withdraws do not count as successfully completed—dropping or withdrawing from classes may affect eligibility to receive financial aid in the future.

In general, most or all financial aid will be canceled for students who drop below half-time enrollment (less than three credits as a graduate student) before they have established eligibility for aid. Students are strongly encouraged to talk with a Student Financial Services Counselor before dropping to less than half-time to confirm the consequences of reducing their enrollment.

Credit balances resulting from withdrawing from classes are refunded to the student. Adding classes after a refund has been processed may result in the student owing additional tuition for the current quarter.

Students who withdraw from all classes after financial aid has been transmitted to their student account, should refer to Dropping or Withdrawing From All Classes below.

Dropping or Withdrawing From All Classes

General information about the affect on financial aid of dropping or withdrawing from all courses for the quarter—the amount of aid received, the amount that will be withdrawn and returned and future eligibility—follows. Because additional, individual circumstances and information vary widely from student to student, and because dropping or withdrawing from all classes may have different consequences for financial aid purposes than for academic purposes, Student Financial Services strongly encourages financial aid recipients to see a Student Financial Services Counselor before actually dropping or withdrawing from all classes for the quarter.

Aid for subsequent quarters will be canceled unless the student notifies Student Financial Services that they plan to return. Refer to the Satisfactory Academic Progress Requirements for Financial Aid Recipients Policy for more information.

The official withdrawal date will be the date of the first signature of a university official on the withdrawal form unless the form is not received by the Office of the Registrar within five days of that signature in which case the official date of withdrawal becomes the date the form is received by the Office of the Registrar. If a student begins attendance but ceases to attend classes without notifying the University and the last date of attendance cannot be documented, the required return of financial aid will be based on attendance for 50 percent of the quarter and the student will not be eligible for a tuition refund.

The Student Financial Services Office will determine a student’s eligibility for a refund of charges for the quarter based on the student’s official date of withdrawal as described above. Tuition refund periods and amounts are given in the Tuition and Fees section of this catalog.

Federal regulations require that federal funds be returned to federal programs based on the percent of the term remaining after the student is no longer enrolled unless the student has completed more than 60 percent of the term. If the student has completed more than 60 percent of the term, no return of federal funds is required. If the student has completed less than 60 percent of the term, the Student Financial Services Office will determine how much federal aid was unearned as defined in federal regulations, and then return the unearned aid in the following order:

  • Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan
  • Federal Direct Subsidized Stafford Loan
  • Federal Perkins Loan
  • Federal Graduate PLUS Loan
  • Federal TEACH Grant
  • Other Title IV Programs

Seattle University is required to return, on the student’s behalf, the balance of unearned aid to the federal programs. Work study funding is not included in the calculation that determines the student’s return amount and the student will not be required to repay any work study payments received for hours worked. The student will be responsible for repaying, in accordance with the terms of the master promissory note, any balance owed on the federal student loans disbursed to them that is not required to be returned by the university.

Federal law requires students who have received federal student loans while attending Seattle University to complete loan exit counseling through Seattle University. That counseling provides information about the student’s rights and responsibilities for loan repayment. Loan repayment will begin at the end of the student’s grace period(s) as defined by the master promissory note(s) the student completed to receive the loans.

If most of a student’s tuition costs were covered by financial aid, then most of their refund will be returned to those financial aid programs. This does not apply to any private educational loans received. Repayment of these loans is solely the responsibility of the borrower once the funds have been applied to the student’s account.

If payments were made with cash, check or credit card, the amount refunded will be based on the applicable refund percentage at the time the student withdrew.

In some cases, the changes in the amount of financial aid earned prior to a student’s complete withdrawal may result in a balance due from from the student to the university. In these cases, Student Financial Services mails a revised student account invoice to inform the student of the amount owed as a result of their complete withdrawal. The student’s future registration will be blocked and transcripts will be withheld until this balance is paid.

Sample Return of Funds calculations can be found on the Student financial Services website at the bottom of the section titled Complete Withdrawal from All Classes under the Important Info tab on the horizontal menu across the top of the home page.

Hardship Withdrawals

Students granted a hardship withdrawal by their dean should keep in mind this withdrawal is for academic purposes only; tuition refunds follow the standard refund policy and are based on the official withdrawal date. A separate petition is required to request an exception to the standard refund policy. These requests are typically approved only if there was a death in the student’s immediate family or the student had an illness or injury that required three or more days of hospitalization.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy for Financial Aid Recipients

Students receiving financial aid must:

  1. Maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) and
  2. Complete their degree within the maximum time frame allowed and
  3. Maintain progress toward their degree at a minimum cumulative pace. 

These requirements apply to the entire period of attendance at Seattle University, and in some instances may include enrollment at other institutions before transferring to Seattle University, even though the student may not have received financial aid for all the terms in which they were enrolled. 

It is important for financial aid recipients to understand that satisfactory academic progress requirements and enrollment standards for financial aid purposes may not be the same as those for academic purposes. It is possible to be making satisfactory academic progress for academic purposes while at the same time not making satisfactory academic progress for financial aid purposes. Therefore, students are strongly encouraged to talk with a Student Financial Services Counselor, particularly if considering reducing the number of credits for which they are enrolled. 

Satisfactory academic progress for eligibility to receive federal and institutional aid is reviewed at the end of each spring quarter. For state aid, progress is reviewed at the end of each quarter of enrollment for which state aid was received. While students are notified via email if they have not maintained satisfactory academic progress, it is the student’s responsibility to monitor their own progress. 

Eligibility to receive financial aid will be suspended for students who did not make satisfactory academic progress for financial aid purposes as outlined briefly above and explained in detail below. That suspension may be appealed as explained in the Appeals section below.


Federal regulations require that students maintain a cumulative GPA that is consistent with successful completion of their program:

  • Undergraduate students are required to maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 or the minimum cumulative GPA required by their program, whichever is higher.
  • Graduate students are required to maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 or the minimum cumulative GPA required by their program, whichever is higher.


Federal regulations require that the institution establish the standard length of time that students can receive aid while pursuing a degree. This requirement is called the “maximum time frame” for aid eligibility and, for undergraduate students, includes all applicable credits earned from all institutions attended since high school.  

Undergraduate students. For its undergraduate students, Seattle University has established a maximum time frame for the receipt of financial aid as the earlier of:

  • Attempting 125 percent of the minimum number of credits required for a student’s degree, or
  • Completing all courses required to earn a degree, regardless of whether or not the student chooses to receive a diploma at that point. For instance, even though the student’s intent is to earn two degrees, eligibility for financial aid ends when the coursework necessary to receive one of those degrees has been completed. 

For undergraduate students, the maximum period of eligibility for federal, state and institutional aid is calculated as follows:

  • Federal aid: 125 percent of the published number of credits required to earn the student’s degree.
  • State Aid: Washington State Need Grant eligibility is limited to:
    • 15 full–time quarters or equivalent enrollment at less than full–time, not to exceed
    • 125 percent of the published number of credits required to earn the student’s degree.
  • Institutional gift aid is awarded to eligible, full–time undergraduates for the number of quarters needed to complete program requirements based on the student’s classification upon admission:
    • Four years (12 quarters) for undergraduate students who are classified as freshmen (0–44 credits completed) upon admission.
    • Three years (9 quarters) for undergraduate students who are classified by the Registrar’s Office as sophomores (45 to 89 credits) upon admission.
    • Two years (6 quarters) for undergraduate students who are classified by the registrar’s office as juniors (90 to 134 credits) upon admission.
    • One year (3 quarters) for undergraduate students who are classified by the Registrar’s Office as seniors (135 or more credits) upon admission.

This policy applies to all institutional aid including grants and scholarships. Institutional aid is not available for extending a program to complete more than one major, minor or degree. To complete the undergraduate program within the institutional funding period, students are encouraged to enroll for 15 credits per quarter. 

Graduate Students. For graduate students, the maximum time frame of eligibility to receive federal financial aid is six years (24 quarters) as long as the minimum, cumulative GPA and pace requirements continue to be met. 


Pace measures progress toward a student’s degree within the maximum time frame and is calculated by dividing the cumulative number of credits the student has completed by the cumulative number of credits the student has attempted at the end of any review period.

 Seattle University has established the minimum acceptable cumulative pace to be 80 percent. Pace considerations:

  •  For students who transfer credits from another institution upon entering Seattle University, all accepted credits count as both attempted and completed for the purpose of evaluating pace.
  • A passing grade includes A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D, D-, CR and P. A passing grade for financial aid considerations may not allow progression in the major and may not be accepted to fulfill a degree requirement.
  • Incomplete (I’s), suspended (N’s), in progress (IP’s), missing grades (M’s), withdrawals (W’s), hardship withdrawals (HW’s) and failed classes (F’s) count as attempted credits but not completed credits.
    • At the time incomplete, no grade, and missing grades are converted to a passing grade, they are considered in the calculation as completed credits.
    • If a class is repeated, successfully completed credits count only once; but each enrollment will count as credits attempted. Additionally:
      • If a student repeats a class they have previously failed, they may receive financial aid for each time the class is repeated until they receive a passing grade.
      • A student may only receive financial aid for one re-take of a class for which they’ve previously received a passing grade.
  • Coursework that may not apply to the degree, such as Culture and Language Bridge courses, will be counted toward the qualitative (GPA) component of satisfactory progress, although it will not be included in the cumulative GPA on the student’s transcript. This coursework will not be counted toward satisfactory academic progress’s pace quantitative component.
  • Audit grades (Y’s) and audit withdrawal grades (YW) have no impact on pace as they are not included in either attempted or earned credits.
  • Credits earned by means other than by completing a college level course at another institution do not count as either attempted or completed credits.

Students must complete the minimum number of credits based on:

  • The higher of their actual enrollment status (full–time, three–quarter-time, half-time or less than half–time) or
  • The enrollment status for which they received financial aid, as noted on the Enrollment Status line of their award letter. 

For example, if a student receives aid for initial enrollment of half–time (6–8 credits at the undergraduate level) but adds credits later in the term resulting in full–time enrollment, their progress will be evaluated based on that full-time enrollment.

Enrollment status is defined as:  

Enrollment Status

Undergraduate Students

Graduate Students


12 credits minimum
15 credits strongly recommended

6 credits per quarter

Three–quarter time

9 credits per quarter

4 or 5 credits per quarter


6 credits per quarter

3 credits per quarter

Less Than Half–time

The # of credits for which the student enrolls

The # of credits for which the student enrolls

Less than full time enrollment. To be eligible for financial aid for less than full-time enrollment, federal, state and/or institutional aid may require proration based on the reduced enrollment level which may, in turn, result in a reduction in the financial aid.

Institutional Aid. Institutional aid includes aid awarded through Student Financial Services and other offices at Seattle University which originates from the institution’s general fund, departmental funds, the financial aid budget, gifts to the university, and endowed scholarship funds. 

Institutional aid considerations:

  • Students receiving institutional aid must maintain full–time enrollment fall, winter and spring terms.
  • Institutional aid will be prorated, rather than withdrawn, if the student isn’t required to enroll full–time in their final quarter in order to complete their degree requirements.
  • Institutional aid is not available during summer term.


All institutional gift aid is limited to the student’s class standing when they are admitted to Seattle University as outlined above in the “Maximum Time Frame” section.

 All scholarship recipients must maintain a minimum cumulative pace of 80 percent as outlined above in the “Pace” section.

If a student has met the maximum time frame and pace requirements, but has not maintained the required minimum cumulative GPA (see specifics below), it may be possible to improve their GPA by taking classes in the summer (without aid). For more information about this option students should contact a Student Financial Services Counselor.

In addition to the named scholarships below, there are other institutional scholarships which come with specific requirements. Those requirements are disclosed in the offer letter associated with those scholarships.


3.0 Minimum Cumulative GPA Required for Certain Institutional Scholarship Recipients

Students who received a Sullivan Leadership Award or a Presidential, Trustee, Campion, Messina, Xavier, Bannan or Honors Scholarship when entering Seattle University must meet all the standard satisfactory academic progress requirements outlined above and maintain a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.0. Failure to meet this standard for the Sullivan Leadership Award, Bannan or Honors Scholarship at the spring review may result in suspension of these awards. 

Failure to meet this standard for the other scholarships listed in the paragraph above will result in a year of scholarship probation. Failure to meet the 3.0 minimum cumulative GPA requirement by the end of the probation year will result in the replacement of the scholarship by the next lower scholarship (if minimum GPA requirements are met for that level scholarship) in the year in which the student entered. For recipients of the lowest scholarship, failure to meet the minimum GPA requirement in the probation year will result in a fifty percent reduction of that scholarship for subsequent years. 



Washington Financial Aid Programs. Progress of recipients of Washington State Need Grants and/or Washington State Work Study is monitored at the end of each quarter:

  • Failure to complete at least 50 percent of the credits attempted in a quarter will result in the cancellation of a student’s subsequent eligibility.
  • Recipients who complete at least 50 percent, but not all of the credits attempted for a quarter, will be placed on state aid probation.
    • Receipt of state aid while on state aid probation is only permitted for two consecutive quarters.
    • If state aid eligibility is suspended, but the student had special circumstances that prevented satisfactory progress, such as a serious illness or injury or a death in the family, they may submit an appeal to request continued state eligibility
  • There is no appeal of the maximum number of quarters for which a student may receive State Need Grant funding as described in the Maximum Time Frame section above. 

Alaska State Loan Borrowers.

  • Undergraduate Alaska State Loan borrowers must enroll for at least 12 credits per quarter and achieve a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0.
  • Graduate Student Alaska State Loan borrowers must enroll for a minimum of 6 credits per quarter and achieve a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0.

Appeals for reinstatement of Alaska loan eligibility are made to the Alaska Student Loan Commission. 



Satisfactory academic progress for financial aid purposes is reviewed annually at the end of spring quarter. Student Financial Services notifies students via their Seattle University email accounts if it appears that they have not made satisfactory academic progress. Students who fail to make satisfactory progress because of circumstances beyond their control such as illness or injury, a serious illness or death in the student’s family, or other unanticipated circumstances may appeal to have their aid reinstated. 

Students should first contact a Student Financial Services Counselor by calling (206) 220-8020, e-mailing financialservices@seattleu.edu or coming to the Student Financial Services Office in the University Services Building, Room 105 to see a counselor during the office’s walk-in appointment hours, which are posted on the Student Financial Services website: www.seattleu.edu/sfs. Student Financial Services Counselors work with students to determine the best course of action based on each student’s specific circumstances. 

If the student and Student Financial Services Counselor determine that submitting an appeal is the best next step, the student will be asked to provide the following information, in writing, on the Satisfactory Academic Progress for Financial Aid Appeal Form, available from the counselor or on the Student Financial Services web site on the Forms tab:  

  • An explanation of the special circumstances that prevented the student from meeting satisfactory academic progress requirements for financial aid and
  • What has changed in the student’s situation that will allow them to regain and maintain satisfactory academic progress in the future and
  • Any supplemental documentation that supports the student’s case. In the case of maximum time frame, the student must provide an academic plan as described in the next paragraph.

Appeals are due by June 30 so it’s important that students contact a Student Financial Services counselor within a week of the date of the notification that satisfactory academic progress requirements weren’t met.

The Student Financial Services Counselor will review the student’s appeal and make one of the following determinations: 

If it appears possible and likely that the student will be able to resume progress within the next quarter:

  • The student will be placed on probation for that quarter;
  • The student’s progress will be monitored at the end of that quarter;
    • If the student is successful, the probationary status will be lifted and the student will again be considered to be making satisfactory progress
    • If the student is not successful, their eligibility will again be suspended and they will again have the right to appeal that suspension
      • Each appeal will be considered on its own merit. However, while there is no limit to the number of appeals a student may submit, repeat appeals must generally be for reasons different than those of previous appeal to be approved and will take longer to process because they will be reviewed by a committee of Student Financial Services Counselors. 

If it appears unlikely that the student will be able to resume progress within the next quarter and/or the student’s request is that eligibility to receive institutional gift aid be extended, they will be required to work with an academic adviser to develop an academic plan that, when followed, will

  • Set the requirements the student will need to meet to ensure that they are able to meet the institution’s satisfactory academic progress standards by a designated point within the maximum time frame, or
  • Indicate the courses required for completion of the student’s degree in support of their request that their eligibility to receive institutional aid be extended.
    • The plan will designate, quarter by quarter, the courses, number of credits of enrollment and GPA that must be earned in order to regain progress.
    • The student’s progress will be monitored each quarter.
  • If the student successfully follows their academic plan, they will continue to be eligible to receive financial aid for the following quarter.
  • If the student is not able to successfully follow their academic plan, eligibility to receive financial aid will be suspended and they will again have the right to appeal that suspension.
    • Each appeal will be considered on its own merit. However, while there is no limit to the number of appeals a student may submit, repeat appeals must generally be for reasons different than those of previous appeal to be approved and will take longer to process because they will be reviewed by a committee of Student Financial Services Counselors.

Readmitted students who were not making satisfactory academic progress as financial aid recipients when they left Seattle University must resolve that deficiency under the policy in place when they re-enter. Readmitted students should make an appointment with a Student Financial Services Counselor who will make a determination about how the student needs to proceed using the options outlined above for continuing students.

If a student’s appeal is denied, they will be notified of that decision via their Seattle University email address.  A student may appeal that decision by sending an email or letter to the Director of Student Financial Services, explaining in as much detail as possible why they are asking that the decision be reversed.



If a student’s aid eligibility is suspended due to lack of satisfactory academic progress, they may be able to regain eligibility by pursuing their education without the benefit of financial assistance from Seattle University. This may involve taking additional classes at Seattle University to raise their cumulative GPA to an acceptable level, or taking credits at Seattle University or another institution to regain “pace.” Taking credits from another institution will require official transcripts and evaluation of transfer credit, and sometimes an application for readmission, before eligibility can be restored.

Because regaining eligibility is generally difficult to do, Student Financial Services highly recommends that students meet with a Student Financial Services Counselor to ensure that they understand what is required to regain eligibility. When a student has regained progress and is eligible to enroll at Seattle University, they should submit a request to the Student Financial Services office to confirm that they have regained eligibility. If additional courses were taken, that request should be submitted after those courses have been evaluated and posted to the student’s Seattle University transcript by the Office of the Registrar.